Friday, October 17, 2008

Angel Stadium


To complete our Summer of Ballparks and batting practice I wanted to take Alina and Tommy to Angel Stadium. So September 26th I called to find out about tickets. The ticket office told me they only had scattered singles. The stadium was going to be the 4th, 5th and 6th stadium of the summer for Alina Tommy and me respectively. I felt it was worth the risk of driving down there and not being able to get tickets. I figured if we could just get in we would be able to find a place to sit together. So we headed down. When we got into the parking lot Alina and Tommy were immediately impressed with the big "A."

As we started looking for open ticket windows I was afraid that we would not find one open. However as we got to the front of the stadium we found one. The guy inside told me that we could get tickets for $3 and I said "I'll take 'em!" So with tickets in had we headed in for batting practice.
We were a little bit late but it was not very crowded for a Friday night. Alina and Tommy found a spot along the wall, where we had hoped they would get noticed by the players. Unfortunately they did not pay any attention to the kids and neither Alina nor Tommy got a ball tossed to them. And then the wall started getting more populated.As we were watching one of the Rangers players tease us with a ball to our right, another ball was hit towards our area. No one was looking and then out of the corner of my eye a saw something. I turned and had a ball bounce right into my glove area, I bobbled it but made the grab. Anyone around me could have caught it if they had been looking. I was just in the right place and got lucky. So now the goal was to get another ball, so both of the kids could have one. After having no luck, a man who had managed to get a few came over and gave me one. What a nice guy! He is pictured to the left and has the arrow pointing to him. I told Tommy if he went over and said "Thank you" I would buy him and Angels bat. So Tommy did. So now both Alina and Tommy had baseballs so we went up into our seats - yeah right! We stayed there until batting practice was over, even though both the kids were saying they were hungry, but we didn't get anymore balls.

We found something to eat and watched the start of the game down near the left field foul pole. Here is a view from where we sat.
When we eventually got to our seats this was our view.



The Angels got killed in the game 12-1. We saw Lackey have his shortest outing of the season, and Josh Hamilton hit his 32nd and last home run of the season.
I found someone to take our picture before we left. This baseball season was really fun for me. Both Alina and Tommy had four balls thrown to them. They are both understanding the game more as well. This is the last park that we will visit together this year, but I look forward to many more seasons with my growing baseball fan family having a ball (or two or three) at the ballpark.

2 balls this game
22 balls in 13 batting practices this season (1.69 per game)
1 consecutive game with at least one ball

No comments:

Post a Comment